In part one of this series we talked about the advantage of using barcode badges for VBS child check in. Now, we will move onto how to get your check-in stations ready for operation. The best place to start is in the Child Check In/Out Setup assistant.
The first step in getting your stations ready is to create a check in user. How you define that check in user will determine how your stations will work. Here are the steps for creating a check in user in Roll Call. These settings are the ones we recommend for VBS.
- Click on Check-in/out on left side of page while logged in as director or administrator.
- If you haven’t set up user security yet, you will be prompted to do that first by giving Director a password.
- Click on the plus sign to set up your check-in user.
- Next, select Checkin User (client) and give a username, such as ‘’registration’’ and password (if you wish)
- Within your check in user you can select different options. For VBS stations using badges, choose:
- Return by individual (each child will swipe their own badge to check in).
- Rapid check in (this will immediately check them into class).
- Click on the NEXT in the lower right and decide if you will print nametags (using Dymo printers) or not. If so, complete the area of TAGS with the other options. Keep the PREFERENCES options the same.
- When you get to the GROUPS section, press the plus sign to create your VBS group.
- Give department of VBS
- Give group name such as VBS grade 1
- Give a session by pressing the plus sign and putting each day and time the VBS group meets (ie. Monday 8am-12pm, Tuesday 8am-12pm, etc..)
- Enter kids into your group (make sure their profiles are already added to Roll Call first). Go to the Members tab and press the plus sign. Find the child by their last name and select them. They are now members of that group. Do learn how to do a mass enrollment, click here.
- Now that your groups are set up, go back into your check in user (the one you named ‘’registration’’) by going to check-in/out and double clicking it to open it. Select the Check In OPTIONS tab.
- Select the option ‘’Show only specified groups’’ and select your new VBS groups.
- Lastly, click on the APPEARANCE tab. From here you have the option to upload a VBS check-in or background image. This is also a good place to put announcements, if you have any. Create your graphic to include any announcements or reminders.
Next week we will focus on how to operate your check in station and how to handle visitors and people who did not register in advance.