Vacation Bible School is such a huge and important ministry in many congregations. It’s one of those times during the year that many churches find themselves with many visitors, specifically children. There’s no better way to assure the parents of their children’s safety than using a check in system. Not only will Roll Call track the child’s attendance, allergies and custody issues you can also use it to follow up with your visitors.
In the next couple of weeks, we will show you a few different options for child check in for you to look into, as well as discuss how to keep in touch with those visitors through Roll Call.
Using a Badge to Check Students into their VBS Class
Roll Call’s badges are a nice option for churches if they want to use lanyards during VBS, rather than printing so many name tag labels each day. The benefits of using the Badges are:
* You can quickly check the child in and record their attendance
* You can include the child’s photo on each badge (you’ll have to do the visitor badges after their initial check in)
* You’ll be able to easily identify the child.
Before you run the print badge wizard, here are some things to consider…
- Make sure you have already uploaded your pictures of the children into their profiles (simply open their profile and add to profile photo area).
- Create the badges a few days before VBS starts then have a kiosk where the children can pick them up each day.
- Consider color lanyards to identify the groups they want the children to be in (yellow group, blue group, etc.…).
- Make sure to copy the bar code font from the Roll Call>Barcode folders and put it in your system font folder.
Here’s how to run the Print Badges wizard…
- First, create a group and enroll your kids in that group. To create a new group, click on Groups>Add a group. Create a department called VBS and then a group name.
- Press the plus sign under the MEMBERS tab to start finding and adding each child to each group.
- Next, go to the PRINT BADGE wizard, found under the People menu on the far left of Roll Call’s main page. Under Run For, select Groups and select each group you wish to generate badges for.
- Press Generate. Select whether you want to print 10 or 8 per sheet, if you want a border then down below select INDIVIDUAL.
- Press NEXT and select/deselect some of those other badge options (like you probably don’t need any numbers but allergies would be good).
- Press the NEXT button, then FINISH. It will send it to the printer. I would recommend doing a print preview first, making sure everything is lined up and looks the way you envisioned.
- Make sure the wizard is printing a barcode on each one.
- It’s also a great idea to have some heavy cardstock paper on hand, or even some Avery 8371 or 8373 business card paper to print onto. This will save you a lot of time and energy cutting these out!
- When they’ve all printed, laminate them and put them in your lanyards.
Next week’s post will discuss how to set up your check in stations for VBS.